Conceptual Options Pregnancy News: Labor & Birth Terms to Know for Surrogates & Intended Mothers
- Abruptio Placenta (Placental Abruption): The placenta has started to separate from the uterine wall too early before the baby is born.
- Amniotic Fluid: This protective liquid, consisting mostly of water, fills in the sac surrounding the fetus.
- APGAR Test or Score: A measurement of the newborn’s response to birth and life outside the womb. The ratings, APGAR, are based on Appearance (color), Pulse (heartbeat), Grimace (reflex), Activity (muscle tone), and Respiration (breathing). The scores, which are taken at 1 & 5 minutes following birth, range from a high 10 to a low 1.
- Breech Presentation: Where the fetus is positioned head up to be born buttocks first or with one or both feet first. This occurs in less than five percent of all births.
- Cephalopelvic Disproportion: The baby is too large to safely pass through the mother’s pelvis.
- Cervidil: A medication used to ripen the cervix before induction.
- Cesarean Section: An incision through the abdominal and uterine walls for extraction of the fetus; it may be vertical or, more commonly, horizontal. Also called abdominal delivery; commonly called C-Section.
- Colostrum: Baby’s first food, this is a thin white fluid discharged from the breasts at the beginning of milk production, and usually noticeable during the last couple of week of pregnancy.low the baby’s head to compress slightly during passage through the birth canal.
- And there are so many more…..
Conceptual Options Pregnancy News – Labor Terms for Surrogates & Intended Mothers