With the increase of the use of egg donors for helping couples/women/men create their families, we thought it would be helpful for women considering egg donation to read the following information from the Colorado Center for Egg Donation.
If you are considering becoming an egg donor for an infertile couple, you should be aware of certain risks that it might bring to your health and well-being. It is of course a rewarding experience; however, the egg donation process takes several months and includes time consuming appointments with the doctors, the staff, therapists and counselors. The medical procedure that follows could turn out to be uncomfortable physically and brings about emotional turmoil to the donors. The process is tiresome. Some good egg donation centers are upfront and are willing to answer to the queries raises by the applicants.
- If you are thinking of becoming an egg donor, understand that there is a specific criterion such as specified age range, good health, non smoker and suitable weight that must be met. The screening process involves several steps in order to verify if the possible donor fits the required portfolio and are healthy enough to undergo through the procedure.
- However, there are other aspects of the process that must be considered. Physical exam that includes submission of blood test and cervical cultures. This initial medical examination is mandatory to screen for any inheritable diseases or disorders. The ability to pass a physical exam determines if the applicant will be able to develop and carry the eggs without problems.
- The candidate must also pass a psychological test usually administered on a computer. The examination also includes evaluation by a psychologist to provide the patient with detailed information of mental stress that could be involved with the entire process. This also helps the doctors to understand if the possible donor will have the mental capacity to take on the commitment.
- The donor must maintain a flexible routine so that weekly appointments could be scheduled. During these visits, blood test is carried to check the health of the donor and their reaction to the prescribed medications.
- The procedure also requires self inject medication to stimulate growth and health of the eggs.
Prior to beginning an egg donor cycle, we suggest egg donors to discuss the potential risks and side effects involved with a fertility physician.
Read more here if you are considering egg donation.